Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Four Questions

“Lets see what’s on your scrolls. MA will write four questions on the flip chart. The row on my left will be A, and they will ask the first question, then sit quietly and support B, your partner, to feel an answer. Steve and Vicki, come up front for a demonstration.”

MA wrote:
What are you experiencing?
What do you want?
What to you expect?
What are you resisting?

“Steve, you’re B. Are you aware of your life scrolls?”
“Yes, I am.”
“Good. Take a moment to remember what you saw on your scrolls and then answer the questions.”
Vicki, who was A, asked Steve, “What are you experiencing?”
“I am in the room. In my body.”
“What do you want?”
“I want to do this exercise right.”
“What do you expect?”
“I expect to fumble around and eventually get it right.”
“What are you resisting?”
“I am resisting my scroll about being right.”
“What are you experiencing?” “My throat is tight. I have to cough. My mind is trying to come up with cute answers. I feel vulnerable.”
“What do you want?”
“I want to get off this position. I want to have no fear. I want to be right.”
“What do you expect?” “That I will be stupid and wrong. That I’ll screw up and it’ll be a great demonstration. Ah, this is not my scroll. It’s my mom’s. She’s telling me I have to be right if I want to be anything.”
“What are you resisting?”
“Taking chances. I’ve had the same job for five years, and I really should be working and producing AWE full-time.”
“What are you experiencing?”
“An insight. I am happier than when we started this. I know what I want to do.”


IAM stepped to the front of the stage. “Not everyone will have such a quick insight. All of you will begin to read your own scroll and discriminate between your script and those written by others. Notice how Vicki just asked the questions, and Steve did not make excuses, give reasons or justify his experiences. Very good. Thank you both.


“Neophyte A will begin. You have five minutes. Do we have a bell?”
The bell sounded.
“Begin.”


Dyads in AWE are opportunities for catharsis, courage, truth telling, discomfort, vulnerability, humor, embarrassment, upset, tears, insights, new choices, falling in love, wanting to leave, and blame. Moments when anything is possible and dreams, are recovered.


Art went for self-love. He expected to get self-love, but was he resisted loving all of himself. One of his scrolls said he must love himself before others could love him. He found another scroll that read he couldn’t love himself until he was totally conscious. He found his desire to experience loving himself greater than his resistance to not loving himself.


Art shared, “I feel that the more I am present to my resistance to not loving myself, the more present I was to loving myself.”


IAM seemed very excited about Art’s sharing. “One of the truths of existence is that nothing can exist in two places at the same time. So if you own your resistance, it disappears and is replaced by what you want. You must, however, own the resistance completely and have a desire.”
Others shared about doing this type of work before.


Some commented that this one exercise was better than years of therapy.

“It’s me. I did all of my life to me. It’s the first time I feel I am not a victim,” Brenda said.
“I don’t think I got as far as some did. It seemed there were layers of prefaces, warnings, dangers and excuses why I couldn’t get at my scrolls. But now I know they are there and that I can, like Brenda said, stop feeling sorry for myself and read the scrolls.” Michael heaved a loud sigh and sat back down.

“I have scrolls that say I can’t do things.” Karla said.
“Who wrote those scrolls, Karla?” IAM directed his attention to her, now.
“It doesn’t matter. They say I can’t feel, and I can’t.”
“Who says?”
“I say,” Karla spoke with a defiant tone.“Okay, let’s take a break. Ten minutes ‘til tingle.”

No comments: